Tuesday, December 9, 2008

First Day in Taipei
















Our flight was very long..... will post more about this adventure later.
First Day in Taiwan!
We woke up early to eat breakfast at our hotel. They did have a western breakfast. When I was helping Andrew with his breakfast, I mistakenly put soy sauce on his pancakes!!!
We did not have a guide today, so we toured the neighborhood on our own. We first went outside and walked around the block. It was a little nerve racking. There is lot traffic and hundreds of scooters. We are staying in the downtown area. Later, we decided to brave it again. We headed off to see the Temple and find some American Restaurants. We also made out a currency chart so we would know how much things cost. (JOH friends; current for today may change in future)
US $ NTD
1..00 34
2.00 67
3.00 101
4.00 134
5.00 168
6.00 201
7.00 235
8.00 268
9.00 302
10.00 ` 335
15 503
The money comes in coins of 1=$1.49; 5=.15; 10=.30 ; 50=1.49; Bills 100=2.98; 500=$14.92 1000=$29.84
Our first purchase was a Pepsi under $1.00.
We also found a Subway sandwich shop, Pizza Hut, Dominoes, Starbucks, and Dunkin Donuts!
We walked to a temple a few blocks from our hotel. There were people outside selling items used in the worship ritual it looked like some kind of food, fruit and incense.
About one block from the temple, we found a large park. Andrew played with a two-year-old boy for a while. This park had a small playground, basketball court, pond, and large fountain.
At one point, two teenager girls ask if they could take our picture! Andrew thought that was neat.
We ate lunch at McDonalds for $329 NTD or about $10.00 for three meals. All of the food tasted like that in America except the Diet Coke
We really did quite well. We found most her know some English and Byron is good at making gestures about what we need. Byron brought his GPS and used it to mark our hotel, as well as restaurants that we may want to goes back to.

Tomorrow we pick-up Brooke tomorrow!!

6 comments:

Sarah k said...

Too cool. Sounds like you are getting to the know the area. What hotel are you at? We stayed at the Caesar Park and I know that area now very well. Don't be afraid to take the MRT either! It is cheaper than taxi and quicker!! And you will find that Starbucks and 7-11 is on at least everyother block in Taipei!! Have fun and soak it up!

Sarah k
Taiwankiddo2.blogspot.com

Chad and Kristy said...

Wow! How exciting! I've been busy and haven't realized you have left. It sounds like you are off to a good start.I can't believe how much American food choices you have. Be sooo thankful for that:) Look forward to seeing some pictures of you all holding Brooke. You're in my prayers.

God Bless,

Kristy Gray

Lisa said...

So excited to see this post and read the thoughts you shared with the board!
So excited you made it safely and it sounds like the adventure has already begun!
And mostly, can't wait to hear about Miss Baby Brooke and see her in your arms!!
Hugs to you all!!
Lisa C.

Sarah and Dan Sullivan said...

Oh Michelle, you're there, you're there!!!!!!! Wow! So cool! Thanks for posting all the info. Now, are you at the Golden China?? If you feel like posting about that I would be interested. So excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sarah, coming soon!

Brandy Cartee Portrait Designer said...

HI Girl! I'm so excited for you. I thouth about you all day yesterday. Sounds like you all are doing well over their. I can't wait to see her I know she is a special Blessing for you. I wish you all a safe and happy trip! :)
God Bless,
Brandy

Anonymous said...

We are looking forward to seeing pictures of Brooke and her new family all together!
Becky

Days since our Referral